Visa Support

Type of visa

  • International students coming to study HUST must have a study visa. Other types of visa (such as tourism visa or visiting relatives visa) is unacceptable. Otherwise, for the cases of visa exemption to Vietnam, please learn carefully the conditions attached, especially the maximum number of staying days allowed.

Visa Approval Letter (VAL)

  • The External Affairs Office (EAO) assists international students to obtain the Visa Approval Letter (VAL) issued from the Vietnamese Immigration Department as a guarantee paper for their study visa application to Vietnam.
  • The registered visa duration is based on their study period.
  • Procedure for VAL granting:
  • Step 1: Inform your supervisors/HUST Admission Office/HUST External Affairs Office about your plan at least 3 months before your departure to HUST. 
  • Step 2:  Fill in and submit the form:
  • Step 3: Wait for 2-3 weeks to receive the VAL from the EAO
  • Step 4: Bring the VAL along with other visa application requested papers to the place where you choose to get the visa.

Visa extension

  • Requests for visa extension will be taken into consideration if students obtain the approval of HUST and their home universities to extend their mobility and continue their study at HUST; or in case of special circumstances such as serious illness or being hospitalized.
  • HUST is not responsible for extending students’ visa for any other purposes such as working in Vietnam, travelling, or family visit, etc.
  • Students should submit required documents including a passport (with the visa paper to Vietnam) and an application form provided by EAO at least 1 month before the visa expiry date.
  • In case of the late submission of the required documents, EAO can refuse to extend the visa and students must do it by themselves. Delay in extending visa will be subject to an extremely high fine from the Vietnamese Immigration Department. In some cases, the visa extension can be rejected, then students will have to return their home country.

Visa fees

International exchange students shall pay fees for visa granting, visa extending and visa status changing in accordance with the current regulations of Vietnam


For degree-seeking students, please contact to:

For non degree-seeking students: External Affairs Office (email: